• Coffee is the second-most traded commodity in the world economy, after oil.
• The global coffee industry does $60 billion annually. Coffee farmers earn as little as 4 cents a pound for the coffee they pick by hand.
• Most of the world's coffee is grown by small-scale coffee farming families.
• 25 million families around the world work in the coffee-fields and totally depend on the coffee crop as their only source of income.
• One coffee tree yields slightly less than 1 pound of coffee per year.
• For every pound of gourmet coffee sold, small-coffee farmers receive between 12¢ and 25¢.
• In Guatemala, 70 children out of every 1,000 die before age 5; 51 of those children will not live to reach their first birthdays.
• There is only 1 doctor for every 85,000 people in the Western Highlands of Guatemala.
Back to top
Highland Coffee Roaster